Sunday, October 30, 2011

I'm Dreaming of a White. . .Halloween?!?

Ok, so I spent my October 30 clearing away the remains of what was once a very large, very vibrant pear tree. I remember when we had it planted - it was of modest size then and I actually believed that some day I might actually get pears from the tree.

The only thing I ended up getting from that tree was splinters and incredibly sore muscles after the tree literally collapsed after last night's snowstorm.

Yes, you read that right. Snowstorm. On October 29. Yes, October.

I returned from a very long ride home from Virginia only to find 1/4 of the tree leaning against my neighbors house, 1/4 resting on the fence and 1/4 of it covering my truck. Oh, the last 1/4. Right now it's still standing, but I anticipate that as another of Mother Nature's cruel jokes, it will probably blow down and crush the swimming pool. If it doesn't land on me first!

Now the tree falling down is a pain in the ass. And finding out that unless it caused any damage (which it didn't believe it or not) the insurance won't pay is a pain in the ass. And having to spend the entire day to only have removed 1/3 of the debris is a pain in the ass.

But the real pain in the ass is this damned global warming stuff!! My goodness - in the last year, all I've done is shovel snow and turn up the thermostat. I can't help but wonder if one dinosaur turned to the other and said "Oh, that ice. Don't worry about it. The earth is getting WARMER. Trust me." And bingo, no more dinosaurs.

While I think that Rick Perry is definitely NOT presidential timber, I think I am beginning to buy into his "global warming is bunk" argument. And unless a palm tree thrives where the pear tree once was, and I'm singing "White Christmas" in my bermuda shorts with a frozen tropical drink in my hand, I don't think I'm changing my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm going to post authentic comments rather than just be my funny self. I completely agree with your viewpoint. Now just tell me what to respond when people bring up that old melting glaciers/rising sea water complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred was my boss at Greenwich NatWest in London. He then poached our team to go to Cantors. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Fred, you are truly missed and respected by all that knew you. X

    ReplyDelete