Friday, December 14, 2012

Newtown

Being that I'm an elementary school teacher, I have taken the events at the school in Newtown, CT very personally. None of us who are teachers can ever be fully prepared for everything that might happen on any given day, but I have always hoped that the most tragic thing I'd have to prepare for was a child throwing up in my classroom. Seems that that has gone out the window now.
     I work with children every day. I see their good days and their bad days. I make them laugh and I dry their tears. I find their missing notebooks and textbooks, make sure they have lunch and try to make their day as fun and meaningful as possible. And now I thank God that I don't have to explain to my students why their classmates won't be in school on Monday. Or Tuesday. Or ever.
    If there is any justice in the afterlife, this shooter will burn in the fires of Hell for ever and ever. And those that were taken from us so quickly will look down on those that are left behind and somehow give us the strength to get through each day. And we in turn will pray for their souls and pray for those that have the power to act to limit the access to guns and look for some way to make sense of the events of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment