Saturday, May 29, 2010

Invasion of Privacy?? I think. . . yes!

I've written before about how the internet and message boards have changed lives. Instant gratification is the order of the day. Automatic publishing - such as this blog - have become the norm.

But one thing that remains in this electronic day and age is the good, old fashioned "Letter to the Editor." Or so I thought.

Recently, a columnist raised my ire enough to get me to write a letter to the editor of the local paper. I was exercising my constitutional right of freedom of speech in the time tested way that our forefathers did.

Only in today's day and age, nothing is as simple as it seems.

First, everything that gets published in the paper also gets published electronically. Which means any yahoo with a screen name can go ahead and comment on what you commented on. But it doesn't stop there. Because, thanks to the internet, they can also "google" you and find out way more than they should be allowed to find out.

Which is the drawback to writing the traditional letter to the editor. Because, as is the editorial policy of any reputable newspaper for as long as I can remember, letter writers must provide their real name and address for verification purposes. And, of course, these get published.

But the posters don't have to do that. They get the upper hand. They get to find out more about you and then use it to besmirch your reputation. And what really sucks is that they use the information whether it's accurate or not. Case in point - one of the posters to my letter insists I teach kindergarten. Kindergarten!! I'd rather eat drywall nails!!

Anyway, the posters are one thing. Put yourself out there and there will always be someone who will be gunning for you. And anyway, at least I have enough guts to put my name to it.

But this "too much information" thing is now getting out of hand. Strangers are now calling my home and sharing their opinions directly. That's right - they are looking up my name and getting my phone number and actually CALLING me.

Which is total bullshit as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, you have something to say - write it down. Either as a letter to the editor or a cowardly comment added to an electronic copy of the letter. But keep the personal phone calls and direct attacks to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment