Monday, May 24, 2010

Yet another. . gone too soon

There is a simple truth in life that my grandmother had once shared with me. She said "Parents aren't supposed to bury their children". I don't really remember the context that brought about that quote but, nevertheless, the quote has stayed with me all these years.

I can add to that quote now - coaches aren't supposed to bury their players. We're just not. Especially coaches of youth sports teams. These kids are so young, so full of life, that they are supposed to grow up, have kids of their own, coach them, and then grow old - just like the rest of us.

But that doesn't always work out. Like today.

Vinny Desario died today. He never woke up from the vicious beating he took at the hands of a homeless, illegal immigrant with too much time and a baseball bat in his hands.

That makes two - two players from one of my teams that I will have buried before me. Two young lives that will never have the chance to grow to fruition, to experience all that I have experienced, to share the love of a game that we all loved together.

Vinny was such a great kid. A real friend to all who knew him. If there is any truth to the phrase "only the good die young" then Vinny is the embodiment of that phrase.

I can't even imagine what his parents are going through. His mother, Paula, never at a loss for words. His father John, just one of the nicest, most genuine people you could ever meet. I don't know how they recover from this and go on - but I know they will.

I really don't know what else to say today. I'm grateful for having had Vinny and his family in my life. And my heart goes out to them in their time of incredible grief.

And I'm glad I don't coach anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment