Wednesday, May 19, 2010

To be 12 again

I spent the better part of the day with my brothers and sister today. I wish I could say it was just another fun day with my family but it, unfortunately, wasn't. We were all together in a waiting room at the hospital while my dad underwent his second lung cancer surgery in 6 months.

I can't think of anything more nerve wracking or physically draining than spending hours waiting in a waiting room, even if it is comfortably furnished, waiting for word on the fate of a loved one. Thankfully, if only for 30 minutes or so, we got a respite today, and we owe it all to the blood bank. Or, to be more accurate, to the RN who runs the blood bank.

But first, I have to give credit where credit is due and when it comes to knowing your audience there is no better expert on this than a hospital. I mean, think about it - they know that people are going to be coming to visit their loved ones while they stay at the hospital. So what do they do? They put up a parking garage. Brilliant!!

And then, as if to say "see how smart we are!!", they CHARGE you to park there. Brilliant!! If they could only figure out how to charge a toll as you walk in and out, they'd have it made!

But it's not only money - no, not by a long shot. Because today I saw even more evidence that they really do know their audience - their CAPTIVE audience.

Which is why, as we sat waiting on word about my father, we were prime candidates for brilliant idea #2 - why just let people sit around watching TV when they could be sitting down and donating a pint of blood at the same time!! Holy crap!! Why didn't I think of that!

And so, that is what my brothers and I did this morning. And it was great! I mean, I could do without the pricking of the finger, the unbelievably personal questions and the needles. But the juice was good and the free pen was cool, but most of all, my brothers and I got to hang around and just cause good natured havoc in the blood bank - and the nurses really seemed to like it!

It was like being 12 again - everything was a competition. Who has the highest hemoglobin (Mike did). Who can fill a pint bag fastest (Sal won that one). Who has the highest blood pressure (Mike again, although I don't think that's one you want to win). We were like the white tornado, sweeping in, making bets, cracking jokes and generally keeping the staff in stitches (ooh, that's BAD hospital humor). I think they were truly disappointed when the three pints were collected and we were on our way again.

Which was really the sad part. Because for about 3o minutes, we were 12. And then, on the way back upstairs, we suddenly turned 37 again. And 43. And 46. And the reality that we were here, not to hang out and bleed for free pens and discounted lunches, but to hope that our dad was going to be alright. It was a somber moment, to be sure.

And later, when they came out and said what had to be said - some good news, some bad news - the reality that we are all getting older - sons, daughters, mothers, fathers - really hit for the first time in a long time.

But hey, we were 12 again today - if only for 30 minutes. And I wouldn't trade those 30 minutes for anything - except maybe the next time Dad can come along for the ride. I think he'd like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment